Colonel Ward Pump Station
In the early 1900s colossal five-story high, 60-foot, steam pumps delivered water to the city of Buffalo. They were eventually replaced by smaller, but very powerful electric pumps, which are still in use.
Prior to 1926, Buffalo pumped chlorinated lake water to the city. Any debris in the lake was also in the drinking water. Heavy storms or high winds would agitate Lake Erie. The stirred-up lake water, though chlorinated, would be unsightly.